World Realism Resurrected
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Library of Pergamon

3 posters

Go down

The Great Library of Pergamon Empty The Great Library of Pergamon

Post by Jakev2 Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:10 pm

The Great Library of Pergamon is the greatest in the ancient world (second only to that in Alexandria, but that may not exist yet in our time period), containing some 200,000 books. The king of Pergamon can often be seen here, seeking to learn more on a variety of subjects. The librarians are always happy to help, and can answer any of your queries

Good map (200 B.C.)
The Great Library of Pergamon NE_200bc

Useful sites:

http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/guides/vr_guide/ancgr/AncGrT&C_HTMLpp/CityStateAndTown.htm

Last edited by Jakev2 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jakev2
Jakev2

King's Scroll
Health:
The Great Library of Pergamon Left_bar_bleue100/100The Great Library of Pergamon Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

The Great Library of Pergamon Empty Re: The Great Library of Pergamon

Post by Doyler Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:25 pm

A would-be Athenian philosopher, Aripides [fictional], sends a letter.

His sole question, albeit it carrying many a question;
"What is the most efficient and sensible method of government? Rule by the people, or the people by the rule? What makes each structure more efficient than the other; why is this so?"
Doyler
Doyler

King's Scroll
Health:
The Great Library of Pergamon Left_bar_bleue100/100The Great Library of Pergamon Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by cooki3 Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:39 pm

A anonymous letter from Carthage is sent:

"Why do people believe us Carthaginian are barbarian? We are a simple people that wish for people to know the truth. Children are the future of Carthage and would never be sacrificed..."
cooki3
cooki3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakev2 Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Aripedes gets a personal letter from the king of Pergamon himself - it would appear he has been asking the same questions recently.

"Ah, Aripides, that question is beyond simple politics, it is philosophical. I, too, have asked myself that recently, looking at the great civilizations of our age. The Persians, hated though they are, are one of the greatest and most expansive empires in known history, and they have a sole monarch. In contrast, we Greeks invented democracy, and are the most advanced peoples in existence. I myself believe I have found a balance. In my nation, I am the ruler, but my powers are limited by a council of elected officials. Thus, we can be decisive and efficient in war and expand, and enjoy the fruits of knowledge, happiness and freedom which spring from the tree of democracy. Each system has pros and cons, and different people will like to be ruled in different ways. I suggest you do what all good philophers do, and think it over by yourself to form your own opinion."
Jakev2
Jakev2

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakev2 Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:46 pm

One of the librarians of Pergamon replies to the letter sent by the Carthaginian.

"Barbarism is a matter of perspective. To most Greeks, you seem cultured enough to build great cities, but show that you can only war. In the eyes of the Greeks, barbarians are those who make war, and civilized people are those who excel at philosophy and mathematics, among other fields. I am sure that your terrifying religion lends you that label. The rumours of child sacrifice are enough to make anyman shiver in disgust."
Jakev2
Jakev2

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doyler Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 am

Jakev2 wrote:Aripedes gets a personal letter from the king of Pergamon himself - it would appear he has been asking the same questions recently.

"Ah, Aripides, that question is beyond simple politics, it is philosophical. I, too, have asked myself that recently, looking at the great civilizations of our age. The Persians, hated though they are, are one of the greatest and most expansive empires in known history, and they have a sole monarch. In contrast, we Greeks invented democracy, and are the most advanced peoples in existence. I myself believe I have found a balance. In my nation, I am the ruler, but my powers are limited by a council of elected officials. Thus, we can be decisive and efficient in war and expand, and enjoy the fruits of knowledge, happiness and freedom which spring from the tree of democracy. Each system has pros and cons, and different people will like to be ruled in different ways. I suggest you do what all good philophers do, and think it over by yourself to form your own opinion."

Aripides, troubled, ponders his next letter.

"But in the interest of fairness, surely a free rule for the people is fairest for all, not many, and of those none sane, would like to be ruled over by some all-powerful entity [in the state]? I pray that Nikolaos [the Athenian praetor/dictator] allows this letter through, I fear his vengeance if this angers him"
Doyler
Doyler

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakev2 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 am

Different people like to be governed in different ways. I think you will find a surprisingly large amount of people like the firm grip of a single ruler, and the feeling of safety it provides. Though traditionally it is not the Greek way, I have no quarrel with the way Nikolaos rules his nation.
Jakev2
Jakev2

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doyler Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:31 am

Jakev2 wrote:Different people like to be governed in different ways. I think you will find a surprisingly large amount of people like the firm grip of a single ruler, and the feeling of safety it provides. Though traditionally it is not the Greek way, I have no quarrel with the way Nikolaos rules his nation.
(Lol, Athens invented Democracy, and this comes from a King himself. Very Happy)
Doyler
Doyler

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakev2 Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:52 am

Added useful map.
Jakev2
Jakev2

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakev2 Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm

The librarians have discovered an ancient text, hidden behind rows of other books, which discusses the origins and structure of a typical Greek city-state. They have put this on display where all may view it and learn.
Jakev2
Jakev2

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doyler Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Bump.
Doyler
Doyler

King's Scroll
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down